Attending: Brian Stack (BS), Chair; Tony Jones (TJ), Treasurer, Gary Whitney (GW), At-Large Member; Beth Richardson (BR), Secretary. Former LPRI Chair, Christian Chirino (CC)also attended.
Meeting Location: Warwick Public Library, 600 Sandy Lane, Warwick, RI 02889
Brian Stack (BS) opened the meeting with several announcements:
- The LP’s State Chairs meeting was held on 8/19/11 in Columbus, Ohio. A report on that meeting will soon be available online.
- Facebook will continue to be LPRI’s social networking site. A Google+ account can only be used by individuals, not groups such as LPRI.
- Christian Chirino (CC) will run for Providence City Council to fill the position of Councilman Luna who passed away. A special election is being held to fill Councilman Luna’s vacated position. Christian Chirino spoke about his campaign and goals for furthering the libertarian point of view.
- There is a new RI law requiring voters to present ID when voting.
Tony Jones (TJ) gave his Treasurer’s Report:
- LPRI has about $227. in the bank, and there is an additional $200. or so in undeposited donations.
- TJ has updated the LPRI website so that there is now a secure (encrypted) page for donations.
- TJ sent a Treasurer’s Report to National LP regarding 2010 RILP finances.
Beth Richardson (BR), as secretary was directed to deal with a letter sent by one David Ellis to LPRI. She will scan the letter and email it to the ExCom, then write back to Mr. Ellis, thanking him for his letter and asking permission to post it on the LPRI website.
Membership Improvement and Goals:
- a discussion ensued about how to best contact potential candidates and active members to get them interested and involved in LPRI.
- BS proposed sending 1000 letters whose purpose would be to solicit potential RILP candidates, and 40 letters to existing LPRI active members. He will need help stuffing envelopes.
Tony Jones LPRI Social event: TJ reported that about 10 people came, including LP
Presidential Candidate, Carl Person. TJ thought the event was a success.
Open Floor Discussion: Should LPRI be pursuing policy change or fielding candidates?
This matter was discussed; no conclusions were reached.
Next meeting will be on September 26 at 7:00 p.m. at the Warwick Public Library.